Monday, March 8, 2010

Taper, recover, race

Today marked the final day of hard training for the Chuckanut 50km race in two weeks http://web.me.com/krissymoehl/Chuckanut_50k/Welcome.html. February was a big month for mileage and climbing. For the month, I totaled 216 miles which included more than 30,000 feet climbing - with most of the coming during the 2nd & 3rd week. At 216 miles, February exceeded the prior monthly maximum by 55 miles. A lot of consistency.

March has started with great weather and the first week ended with a 17 mile mountain trail run that included more than 4000 feet of climbing. My weekly total was 72 miles, which is 9 miles more than any previous week. That 72 miles included more than 15,000 feet of climbing and almost 12 hours of running.

Taper starts now! The timing is perfect, since I picked today's run to crash hard with 6 miles left. I don't mean crash as in hitting the wall or bonking. I mean crash as in my ass hitting the trail after tripping over a perfectly placed tree root. I'm expecting a lot of great colors to come out of that one! There's already plenty of red. Yellow, blue, etc. are coming next. I'll spend the next 2 weeks running on the flats, recovery runs and strides & tempos to reintroduce myself to faster paces. Looking forward to a good result at this race. 1 year ago was my first ultra marathon, I'm expecting at least a 40 minute improvement. We'll see. Gotta go eat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment